Spotted Bigfoot!

4/15/2013

He did it! I can't believe it but my brother Ryan finished the 28e Sultan Marathon des Sables. Get this he did it all on a bum knee, see photo below. At one point, during his 50 mile walk, my family didn't see his check in times at three checkpoints, we were scared he might have dropped out of the race or worse been lost. Personally around 2 a.m I could have sworn he was stung by a scorpion and dragging himself across the dunes to get help. Aren't imaginations great?  But no, he just forgot his tracker and simply finished the 50 miler in 24 hours and we were left not knowing from around 1:30 p.m till he arrived at the finish line around 3:10 a.m. This whole thing was a bit crazy but I think that somewhat sums up my brother. He likes to challenge himself, make impulsive decisions and make his own path which I make fun of him for all the time, that and his face, but I also admire him for it. He is on his way home and I think my family and I are pretty excited to see him and hear all about the 150 mile race across the Sahara.

They had a live webcam you could watch each day to see the competitors when the reached the bivouac and I finally got to see Ryan as he crossed the finish line. You're welcome Ryan and family for capturing this moment.

You Might Also Like

0 comments