Things You'll Want to Know First.

1/14/2015

When I was 18 I couldn't wait to get older. Then I could make my own money and do whatever I wanted. HA! My 28 year old self is laughing. I don’t know why I wanted to grow up. Being independent is great, don’t get me wrong, but there are also a lot of downfalls that come with it. Bills on top of bills on top of bills. Throw in lots of responsibility too. There are lots of little things I wish I could have told my 18 year old self before entering college. If only time travel were real. Then I would go back and give myself this advice:
  1. Find what you love to do and try to make that your career. Intern with good companies and for jobs you'd like to have once you graduate.
  2. Don’t be talked into making purchases you shouldn’t be making with money you don’t actually have. Instead only spend money you have. You can then put that purchase on your credit card and immediately pay it off to build good credit.
  3. Get YNAB immediately. A budget is essential. You will need it to manage your finances responsibly and help you save for all the inevitable factors life likes to throw at you.
  4. Continue to workout after college. Keep the habits you formed playing soccer and use them even after you're done.
  5. Learn to cook. It is what brings people together and good meals are cheaper and healthier than eating out. 
  6. Appreciate good friends. They are harder to make and find when you are older.
  7. Clean up after yourself. It makes less chores for later and provides you with a clean house for guests anytime.
  8. Lastly, get in the habit of changing the filter every month. You will want heat in the winter time. Lesson learned.

What advice would you give your younger self?

You Might Also Like

0 comments